Twelve former BANES councillors have been given a special award for their service to the community
A dozen former BANES councillors have been given awards for their service to the community.
The 12, nine men and three women, have been made honorary Aldermen and women by the Chair of Bath & North East Somerset Council, Councillor Eleanor Jackson, for "devoting years of their lives to public service".
It's the highest award that can be given to a Councillor in recognition of exceptional service to the council and the people they represent.
The 12 recognised are:
- Colin Barrett – Weston 2003 - 2019
- Cherry Beath – Combe Down 2007- 2019
- John Bull – Paulton 2007 - 2019
- Charles Gerrish – Keynsham North 2003 - 2019
- Ian Gilchrist – Widcombe 2007 - 2019
- Francine Haeberling – Saltford 1996 - 2019
- Les Kew – High Littleton 1999 - 2019
- Marie Longstaff – Keynsham East 2003 - 2019
- Barry Macrae – Midsomer Norton North 2007 - 2019
- Will Sandry – Oldfield 2007 - 2019
- Martin Veal – Bathavon North 2000 - 2019
- Tim Warren – Mendip 1996 -1999 & 2003 - 2019
Councillor Jackson said all of them are inspiring people "who have shown what can be achieved through many years of dedicated service to the council".
"They have all worked hard to improve the lives of those living in their wards and on behalf of the council I’d like to thank them all and congratulate them," she said.
Following the presentation of scrolls and ceremonial pendants at The Guildhall, the Chair of the Council hosted a reception for the recipients and their guests.