Some public toilets are reopening in Torbay from today
The council say it follows 'extensive conversations with our contractor Healthmatic' and 'Site Specific Risk Assessments have been completed, which have identified a number of units that can safely re-open'.
The list are
- 1 toilet at Brixham Breakwater (Unisex DDA ONLY Pay on entry)
- 1 toilet at Brixham Harbour (Unisex DDA ONLY Pay on entry)
- 1 toilet at Bank Lane, Brixham (Unisex DDA ONLY Pay on entry)
- 1 toilet at Goodrington Central (Unisex DDA ONLY Pay on entry)
- 1 toilet at Goodrington North (Unisex DDA ONLY Free)
- 1 toilet at Preston North (Unisex DDA ONLY Free)
- 1 toilet at Corbyn Head (Unisex DDA ONLY Free)
- 1 toilet at Torre Abbey Meadows (Unisex DDA ONLY Free)
- 1 toilet at Torquay Seafront Complex (Unisex DDA ONLY Pay on entry)
Additional cleaning regimes and frequencies will be in place, and users will be asked to adhere to the guidance on display with regards to social distancing and hygiene, both before and after using the facilities.
A spokesperson for the council said: "To minimise the risk to the public, only single occupancy cubicles will be available for use to avoid users gathering in communal areas. In addition, cash payments have been disabled with only contactless payments being accepted.
"Units will be closed when cleaning is being carried out, and appropriate signage will be in place to notify users of this. We ask that users remain patient when cleaning is taking place, we will not tolerate abusive or offensive behavior towards cleaning operatives."
Councillor Mike Morey, Cabinet Member for Infrastructure, Environment and Culture for Torbay Council, added “We have discussed the re-opening of public toilets at considerable length with our contractor Healthmatic, who are widely known as leaders in the field of Public Toilet Management.
"We are confident that the measures being implemented protect not only users but the cleaning operatives. The re-opening of some facilities is on a trial basis and will be subject to ongoing Risk Assessments and reviews”.
Prior to the re-opening facilities will have been subject to a deep clean.