On Air

Dan Mills 6:00am - 10:00am

Now Playing

Elton John / Kiki Dee Don't Go Breaking My Heart
You are viewing content from The Breeze South Devon.
Would you like to make this your preferred location?

Council will 'ensure rent' if you can offer self isolating space

The town hall Torquay, Torbay Council's HQ

Torbay Council says it needs help finding accommodation for people - including the homeless - who need to be isolated.

The council has issued a statement saying: "We need your help to protect human life."

The authority says it will 'pay a deposit and rent in advance even if you qualify for a mortgage holiday'. 

The request reads: "The Housing Options Team is experiencing increased demand for permanent and temporary accommodation options due to people finding themselves homeless as a result of COVID19.

"People who live with their vulnerable friends, relatives, colleagues may need to move out to protect their loved ones, some only temporarily.

"We also have people that were already in temporary accommodation and people rough sleeping that we need to move.

"Ideally we are looking for permanent homes for our clients but at the very least we need ensuite rooms.

"We are really keen to help support small businesses through this time, do you have ensuite rooms we can use?

"If you have a property to let we will ensure claims for benefits are submitted, we will pay a deposit and rent in advance even if you qualify for a mortgage holiday, we will also provide a dedicated point of contact for you and can provide on-going support for your tenant. 

"If you can help we are waiting to take your call, please contact Lisa Furse on 07909 937582 or email lisa.furse@torbay.gov.uk

More from Local News