On Air

Robert Kenny 10:00AM - 3:00PM

Now Playing

Rod Stewart Didn't I
You are viewing content from The Breeze Reading.
Would you like to make this your preferred location?

Family Escape From Tilehurst Fire

Reading Fire Station - picture taken by Jonny Freeman

A family of five from Tilehurst had a lucky escape after a fire broke out in their home.

Firefighters were called to The Meadway at around 11.20pm last night (Tuesday 15th May 2018), to discover they'd all managed to get out of the building through a first-floor window.

They were given treatment by ambulance crews at the scene - and the local fire service says their lives were saved by the fact their smoke alarm went off.

Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service crews from Dee Road, Caversham Road and Wokingham Road were sent to the scene. 

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus forced entry and located a fire in the kitchen - they used a hose reel to extinguish the blaze.

Crews were on the scene for around an hour and 15 minutes. 

Station Manager, Steve Beard, said:

“We regularly remind residents of the importance of having smoke alarms and testing them weekly and this incident reinforces this message.

“Fortunately, this family escaped but it could have been a lot worse if they hadn’t been alerted by the detectors.” 

To help keep you and your loved ones safe, make sure you're up to date with the latest smoke alarm safety advice:

  • Install smoke alarms in your home, following the manufacturer’s instructions.
  • Test smoke alarms every week to make sure they are working.
  • The best places to fit them are at the bottom of the stairs, with further smoke alarms on each stair landing.
  • The ideal position is on the ceiling, as near as possible to the centre of the room, hallway or landing.

More from Local News