Working smoke alarms helped residents at a home in Weston escape unharmed after a fire overnight - according to fire crews.
The Fire Service are urging local people to take the incident as a warning to make sure their own smoke alarms are working properly.
Crews from Weston and Winscombe fire stations were called to the fire.
On arrival, firefighters found a fire underneath the stairs. Two firefighters in breathing apparatus used one high pressure hose reel and one CO2 extinguisher to tackle the fire.
They also used a thermal imaging camera to check for hot spots and positive pressure ventilation fan to clear smoke from the property.
Thanks to smoke alarms in the property, no occupants were harmed and managed to self-evacuate prior to crews' arrival.
The cause of the fire is thought to be accidental and crews remained on scene to provide fire safety advice to neighbours.