A number of our local hospitals and NHS trusts are going to benefit from a major government funding pledge.
In Berkshire and North Hampshire the Royal Berkshire Hospital in Reading and Basingstoke and North Hampshire Hospital in Basingstoke are marked down in the area for sites which may be redeveloped.
Also included in that list is the Royal Hampshire County Hospital in Winchester.
Campaigners including the city's MP Steve Brine have long campaigned for a rebuild of the hospital.
That news has been welcomed by many people on social media.
OK so this is a big one ... constituents know of my long-running #PriorityNHS which stands full square behind our local NHS and the RHCH in particular. Today’s announcement from the GovM contains seed funding for the £550m project to rebuild our hospital. More to follow ... pic.twitter.com/1mHjSLGDrx— Steve Brine MP (@BrineMP) September 29, 2019
Ministers have also pledged to create up to 12 new community hospitals across Dorset.
The full list of those benefiting is below.
6 hospitals to be developed in HIP1 (2020-2025)
- London - Barts Health NHS Trust - Whipps Cross University Hospital - North East London
- London - Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust - St Helier Hospital - South West London
- North East and Yorkshire - Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust - Leeds General Infirmary - Leeds
- East - The Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust - Princess Alexandra Hospital - Harlow
- Midlands - University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust - Leicester General, Leicester Royal, Glenfield - Leicester
- East - West Hertfordshire Hospitals NHS Trust - Watford General - Watford
21 Trusts being given seed funding to develop their plans for HIP2 (2025-2030)
- East - Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust – Addenbrookes - Cambridge
- South West - Dorset Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust - Various (potentially 12) community hospitals - Dorset
- South East - East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust - Conquest, Eastbourne District Hospitals - Hastings; Eastbourne
- South East - Hampshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust - Royal Hampshire County Hospital, Winchester
- South East - Basingstoke & North Hampshire Hospital – Basingstoke
- London - Hillingdon Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust - The Hillingdon Hospital = North West London
- London - Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust - Charing Cross, St Mary’s and Hammersmith Hospitals - West and Central London
- East - James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust - James Paget Hospital - Great Yarmouth
- Midlands - Kettering General Hospital NHS Foundation Trust - Kettering General Hospital - Kettering
- North West - Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust - Royal Preston Hospital - Preston
- East - Milton Keynes NHS Foundation Trust - Milton Keynes Hospital - Milton Keynes
- South West - North Devon Healthcare NHS Trust - North Devon District Hospital - Barnstaple
- Midlands - Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - Queen’s Medical Centre, Nottingham City Hospital - Nottingham
- North West - Pennine Acute Hospitals NHS Trust - North Manchester General Hospital - North Manchester
- South West - Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust - Derriford Hospital - Plymouth
- South East - Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust - Royal Berkshire Hospital - Reading
- South West - Royal Cornwall NHS Foundation Trust - Royal Cornwall Hospital - Truro
- South West - Royal United Bath NHS Foundation Trust - Royal United Bath Hospital - Bath
- South West - Taunton and Somerset NHS Foundation Trust - Musgrove Park Hospital - Taunton
- South West - Torbay and South Devon Health Care NHS Foundation Trust - Torbay District General - Torquay
- North West - University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust - Royal Lancaster Infirmary and Furness General Hospital - Lancaster; Barrow-in-Furness
- East - West Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust - West Suffolk Hospital - Bury St Edmunds