Basingstoke and District Disability Forum
The Basingstoke and District Disability Forum was launched in 2008 with a remit to represent disabled people in Basingstoke and the surrounding area. The Forum is made up of disabled people, carers and disability organisations representing all disabilities including physical disabilities, sensory disabilities, learning disabilities and mental health.
The Forum acts as a bridge between local disabled people, disability organisations and statutory organisations. The Forum is working
• To raise awareness and promote positive images of disability
• To provide information on disability issues
• To promote equality of opportunity for disabled people
• To give disabled people and carers a voice in the community
The Forum consists of a Trustee Board which sets the policy and aims of the Forum and works with other partners including the North Hampshire Mental Health Forum and the Learning Disabilities Partnership Board, local councils and health organisations.
The work of the Forum is carried out by working groups set up to deal with a particular project or issue.
• The Access for All Working Group advises on access to the built environment and to services and meets regularly on the second Monday of the month.
• The Forum also organises the annual Disability Awareness Day where disabled people, their friends and family can get information on a wide range of disability issues.
• The Disability Signpost Service is held on the first Tuesday of the month in the Basingstoke Discovery Centre. The Signpost Service is run by volunteers who may have a disability themselves and so understand the importance of having up to date information.
• The Forum also produces a series of Signpost leaflets to provide information for disabled people.
For more information about the Forum and to download the Signpost leaflets go to our website http://www.bddf.org.uk
Membership And Volunteering
The Forum is looking for people to get involved. If you want to make a difference to disabled people and you want your voice heard come and join us. As a member of the Forum you will receive information about Forum events and other happenings in Basingstoke and the surrounding areas. You will also be invited to give your ideas and views on the work and activities of the Forum.
Membership of the Disability Forum is free:
• If you are a disabled person or a carer you can join as an Individual Member
• If you represent an organisation working with or for disabled people you can join as an Associate Member
• If you represent a statutory organisation you can join as a Statutory Non-Voting Member
If you would like more information or to get involved with and support the Disability Forum contact the Disability Forum Coordinator who is normally available on Mondays and Fridays between 10am and 4pm. Call 01256 423869 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
More from The Breeze
Elton John left temporarily stunned by fan stopping his Las Vegas show at Caesars Palace.
Find 1000s of singles in your area with The Breeze Dating. Sign up for free and start a conversation with like-minded individuals today.
Tell us about your favourite relaxing songs, and get a visit from The Breeze Team.
Catch your local Breeze
Find your nearest station to listen live, see local news, features and more.
The Breeze VIP Club
Get the VIP newsletter, listen to full interviews and get more exclusively with the VIP Club!