On Air

David Perry 11:00AM - 3:00PM

Now Playing

Bryan Adams Heaven

Me and My Dad Club

Me & My Dad Club is an Andover based group set-up to encourage fathers to spend more quality time with their children doing activities, going on outings and attending special events. The group meets every other Saturday morning at the Spring Meadow Children’s Centre on Smannell Road in Andover. 

Sessions are exclusively for Dad’s to come along and have the opportunity to play and bond more with their children, without their wife or partner. This provides an excellent opportunity to chat with other dads about anything and everything from parenting problems or issues to the cost of beer and premiership match tickets! The club primarily caters for parents with younger children, i.e. from new born babies up to about 5-6 years of age although older children do attend with their younger siblings. 

Along with the standard fortnightly play sessions, we arrange day trips out for the group, there is normally little or no cost for these trips as we want everyone to able to come if they wish. Trips we have organised in the past include Victoria Country Park, The Natural History Museum, Southampton Football club and Marwell Zoo. (Trips are made available to immediate family of dad’s club members, i.e. wives, partners, other siblings and grandparents where both parents are unable to come). 

There is no charge to attend the play sessions, however if attendees wish to contribute to the running of the group a voluntary donation can be made via ‘super-pig', who is placed in the reception area at the Spring Meadow Centre every play session. 

Currently there are approximately 120 dads registered with the group with approximately 80 either attending regularly or have attended recently. 

As far as we are aware, there is no other group like ours that caters just for the needs of fathers. Our members tell us the main reasons they come is to get some bonding time with their children that they otherwise would not be able to get. The fathers that are married tell us the group enables their partners to have a couple of hours free time to either relax or catch up with chores that are not possible with the children around. The single fathers that attend find it difficult to find somewhere to take their children when they have them and the group provides the perfect venue for them. The group also enables all fathers, regardless of their marital status, to talk to other fathers and swap stories, share problems and make friends whilst safe in the knowledge their children are playing and making friends themselves in a safe supervised environment.

More from The Breeze

• The Breeze Dating

The Breeze Dating

Find 1000s of singles in your area with The Breeze Dating. Sign up for free and start a conversation with like-minded individuals today.

The Breeze VIP Club

Get the VIP newsletter, listen to full interviews and get more exclusively with the VIP Club!