On Air

Dan Mills 6:00am - 10:00am

Now Playing

Elton John / Kiki Dee Don't Go Breaking My Heart
You are viewing content from The Breeze Bath.
Would you like to make this your preferred location?

School sorry for 'childcare difficulties' but closing school as health is 'first priority'

Photo: @PTAMoorlands from earlier this month with the caption 'Rain? No problem! Let’s scrub the playground, make bubbles and really exercise those upper body muscles! We start the day with finger gym but this is arm gym

Two schools in Bath are remaining shut today after a member of their 'community' appeared to have coronavirus symptoms.

Acting head Warrick Barton says Moorlands Junior and Infants will remain closed as a precuation.

The school is still waiting for the results of a test for the Covid -19 strain of the virus.

We're told the sites will be undergoing a deep clean today as a precuation.

The school says they understand it may cause 'difficulties with childcare' but hope parents children's health is their 'first priority. as well as the health of the whole school community'.

In a message to parents Mr Barton said: "I need to let you know that a member of the school community who has been to a Category 2 area within the last 14 days has developed some symptoms that could indicate that they have the virus.  

"I should stress that it remains unlikely that they will test positively for the virus, but all Public Health advice has been followed, and as a precaution the person is being tested this evening.  I am grateful to this person for having correctly followed all the advice at every stage.

The public health advice in this situation is this: no restrictions or special control measures are required while laboratory test results for COVID-19 are awaited. There is no need to close the setting or send other learners or staff home. As a precautionary measure, the NHS are currently testing a very large number of people who have travelled back from affected countries, the vast majority of whom test negative. Therefore, until the outcome of test results is known there is no action that staff members need to take apart from cleaning specific areas ... and disposing of waste."

"However I have had to take a difficult decision in the light of this advice.  While on the one hand it says "there is no need to close the setting", on the other it says that action in terms of cleaning is necessary. 

" Given the timing of me receiving the information, it will not be possible to adequately clean a site as large as Moorlands in time for the school to open in the morning. " 

More from Local News