Plans for 42 new homes have been given the go ahead across North Dorset.
It will see 17 allowed to be built next to the Bull Tavern in Sturminster Newton and 25 at Huntley Down in Milborne St Andrew.
The plans include a number of affordable homes, and some properties which will also offer shared ownership.
The development, by Hall & Woodhouse, will also provide investment into the Bull Tavern.
Mark Woodhouse, Chairman of Hall & Woodhouse, said: "I am delighted that permission to develop the field next to The Bull has been granted as it will help to ensure its future as a public house, one that is dear to me as I had my first illegal pint in it at the age of 14!
"Hall & Woodhouse is committed to reinvesting £500,000 in the site by way of a new home for the Business Partner and a new car park and garden for The Bull.
"Not only does this enhance the pub, it enhances the local community with the provision of new homes including four affordable homes."
A 25 home development, provide by local developer Wyatt Homes, has been approved at Huntley Down in Milborne St Andrew.
It will provide a total of 10 affordable homes including two 1-bedroom homes, five 2-bedroom homes, and three 3-bedroom homes. Of these 70 per cent will be for affordable rent, with the remaining 30 per cent intermediate housing (i.e. shared ownership).
David Walsh, North Dorset District Council’s Cabinet Member for Planning, said: "I am pleased that we have been able to give approval to more new homes in our area, providing a boost to our five year land supply. I look forward to work starting on site."
Graham Carr-Jones, Leader of North Dorset District Council and Cabinet Member for Housing, said: "The approval of more homes in the area is welcome.
"The increased rate of development is a key driver for our Opening Doors Programme.
"As part of this programme, we have opened a Home Ownership register.
"This is giving us real insight into the preferred type and location of housing wanted by residents.
"It also enables us to direct new homes to residents.
"I would encourage anyone looking to own their own home to sign the register."