Would you like to make this your preferred location?
Families for Children
Families for Children welcome enquiries and applications from Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender adopters.
In December 2002 the law changed which meant that whether you are heterosexual, lesbian or gay is not a factor in your right to adopt.
At Families for Children they have a wealth of experience in assessing LGBTQ+ adopters and recognise the strengths and skills that you bring in meeting the needs of children waiting for families.
- The quality of parent-child relationships is just the same when children are adopted by lesbian or gay couples compared to heterosexual couples.
- Children’s psychological development and wellbeing is just the same when children are adopted by lesbian or gay couples compared to heterosexual couples.
- Lesbian and gay adopters are more likely than heterosexual adopters to have come to adoption as their first choice.
- Lesbian and gay adopters felt well equipped to help children deal with difference and that children would have advantages growing up of being tolerant of difference in others.
- Adopted children of lesbian and gay parents don't experience greater problems at school and in peer relationships compared to children of heterosexual parents, and bullying and teasing is rare.
What about Transgender adopters?
Because the numbers are small adoption agencies may not have experience of transgender people who wish to adopt. However the same laws apply, you can adopt whatever your sexual orientation and are protected from discrimination.
*research taken from First4Adoption website 2020
More from The Breeze
The Breeze Community Billboard gives the local charities and organisations of Thames Valley free publicity on the radio by raising awareness of your cause and increasing membership.
Find 1000s of singles in your area with The Breeze Dating. Sign up for free and start a conversation with like-minded individuals today.
The Breeze VIP Club
Get the VIP newsletter and be the first to hear of our incredible competitions!